Thursday, April 2, 2009

Strange Noise

While smoking a cigarette outside on my patio, a strange noise came from somewhere. I said to myself, “what on Earth is that!” I looked around and saw nothing. I heard it again and was baffled. I thought maybe it's a strange bird. I realized it was night time and no birds should be out. The noise was too loud for an insect, so I decided to investigate the area near the fence where I heard the noise. I walked over to the area and I noticed the noise stopped. I looked down and there was a green toad sitting on the edge of the concrete near the fence. I looked at it and it appeared very adorable. I felt a primal urge to anthropomorphize the toad, but reason told me toads don't care about humans and its croak was probably for a mate. Then I thought it's unfortunate toads don't croak to humans and was reminded of how lonely our species is. It ceased to mean anything and I walked inside.

2 comments:

  1. if it wasn't for smoking and the word 'anthropomorphize' this would make a great picture book for children.

    ReplyDelete